Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:38:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Joseph Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com>, <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Serious Problems with PERC3 Dual Channel and FreeBSD 4.3

Copied to -STABLE...

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Scott Long wrote:

> This is very strange.  Is it possible to send me the dmesg output?  If not,
> can you page back the console and see of the card and container are being
> detected?  I'll look into it in the mean time.
>
> Scott
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:35:58AM -0500, Joseph Koenig wrote:
> > Let me first say I have posted this question on Newbies and Questions
> > and no one has been able to help yet and suggested I try the SCSI list.
> > Here's what's going on. I've got a Dell PowerEdge 2500 1GHz, 1GB RAM,
> > 3x18GB U160 SCSI Drives in RAID 5 with the PERC3 Dual Channel controller
> > - 128MB Write Cache. There is 1 container set up on the drives that is
> > about 34GB. It is detected at "aacd0". Installation goes just fine, but
> > when I try to reboot, I get the following message:

> > no devsw (majdev=0 bootdev=0xa0200000)
> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/aacd0s1a
> > no such device 'aacd'
> > setrootbyname failed
> > ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> > Root mount failed: 6
> >
> > Manual root filesystem specification:
> > eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
> > ? List valid disk boot devices
> > <empty line> Abort manual input
> >
> > I have been unable to get past this point in any way. The last thing I
> > tried was to install via FTP from releng4.FreeBSD.org - I grabbed the
> > snapshot from yesterday and still have the same problem. I've also tried
> > just using the regular MBR as opposed to the Boot Manager, as someone
> > suggested. I've been scrounging books and the net for the past week and
> > have been unable to get anywhere with this. Any help would be much
> > appreciated. I'm willing to try anything. Thanks,

I think you're seeing the same problem I am.  It isn't related to your
RAID controller.  Something in -STABLE broke bus probing on a few rare
machines such as yours and mine.  I'll bet your dmesg output is quite
short since most of your devices aren't being probed.  I tried to
narrow down the commit that may have caused it last night, but I
didn't have any luck.  I'm hoping others can give me suggestions on
recent -STABLE changes (within three weeks or a month) to revert to
try and find the problem.  I can check out previous dates of the tree
to try and narrow it down, too, but thats a bit of a pain.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet