Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 16:17:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        Doug Jolley <doug@bigwheel.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting a file from CD-ROM

Doug Jolley wrote:

> Let's say that I would like to get the distribution version
> of a particular file from CD-ROM (e.g., /etc/rc.conf).  I assume
> that it must be in some tarball or something on the CD-ROM since
> find doesn't turn it up.  My question is this:  Is there some
> way of determining where the relevant file is packed away so
> that I can extract it?

The file you seek is in quite a few places, including in tarballs (of
sorts) on the installation CD-ROM.  However, it's not surprising you didn't
find it: The gzipped tarballs are there, but they've been split into
subfiles.

There are several ways to get the file you mentioned, /etc/rc.conf:

1. Get it from the "source" distribution tarball.  Mount the installation
   CD-ROM.  `cd' to its "bin" subdirectory, and run the following command.
   That command will put the gzipped tarball back together again,
   uncompress it, and extract "etc/rc.conf" onto standard output, which is
   then redirected to "/tmp/rc.conf".  Note the lack of leading "/" in
   "etc/rc.conf".

        cat setc.?? | tar xzfO - etc/rc.conf >/tmp/rc.conf

2. Get it from the "bin" distribution tarball.  Mount the installation
   CD-ROM.  `cd' to its "bin" subdirectory, and run the following command.

        cat bin.?? | tar xzfO - etc/rc.conf >/tmp/rc.conf

   This will take longer than #1, since the "bin" tarball is enormous.

3. Get it from the source CD-ROM.  This time, you don't need to worry about
   a tarball at all; "/etc/rc.conf" exists as a separate file on the live
   file system.  Put the "live file system" CD-ROM in your drive and mount
   it.  You'll find "rc.conf" in the "etc" subdirectory on that disk.

4. It's also in the CVS repository disk, if you have Walnut Creek's
   2.2.5-RELEASE CD-ROM set.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Westheimer's Discovery: A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently
save a couple of hours in the library.