Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 14:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mason@methane.dragonfly.rain.com
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mason@methane.dragonfly.rain.com ()
Subject:   Strange NFS behaviour

Hello all,

We've seen some strange behaviour on our FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE system
with regards to NFS.

'Sinkhole' is a ASUS P2L97-S/233 system (running FreeBSD
2.2.6-RELEASE) with an Intel Pro-100 card which acts as a NFS server
for the /prj for the rest of our network.

One of it's clients is 'methane' our Sun 167MHz Ultra2 (running
Solaris 2.5.1).

What we where seeing is an

	rm -rf /prj/mumble/dir

executed from methane would complete without all of the contents of
the directory (or the directory itself) being removed.  If you re-ran
the rm -rf by hand, the rest of the directory would be removed.

We've seen this when doing a build of gcc for MIPS (the makefiles
create and remove a number of temporary directories during multilib
generation), which would fail (because the directory wasn't removed as
the makefile expected).  It's also been reported by one of our users
typing at the shell.

We tried unmounting and remounting with NFS vers 2, same problem.

When I changed the vfstab on methane to "vers=2,wsize=1024" the
problem disappeared.  I'm afraid that this didn't actually fix the
problem, it just masked it.

Any ideas what's going on here?  I've searched through deja news for
past messages that might be related to this problem with no luck.

Thanks in advance,
Mark