Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 12:09:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quick question about 'make world' in /usr/src

On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Hi...
>
> 	I've taken a look at the Makefile in /usr/src, and am
> slightly nervous of doing a 'make world'...
>
> 	...what exactly does make world do?  will it overwrite or
> change anything on the live system, or *only* compile everything
> under /usr/src?
>
> 	And, as far as that is concerned, if I want to install it
> all, just 'make installmost'?
>
> 	Mainly, I don't relish the thought of destroying my system,
> and there doesnt' seem to be much more docs on it then lookign at the
> Makefile...and I dont' want to trust that I'm reading it right :(

Make world DOES remake the world, every little part of FreeBSD right down
to the docs.  The only parts it doesn't do are the kernel itself and ports.
I always do it as single user (I do a 'shutdown now' beforehand) because
it replaces all the shared libs too, and that makes me nervous.  I've
been told this isn't necessary anymore, but I've never gotten a
satisfactory explanation why not, so I feel safer that way.  The make
world does all the other parts (make depend, the directory tree, Make
all, make install) you ought to go glance at the /usr/share/mk files and
the /usr/src/Makefile itself.

If you don't tell the make world otherwise, it compiles all the security
in.  I did this once and found myself locked out of my own machine, even
tho I knew the passwords.  Since I don't have any net connectivity, I
feel I can get along with reduced security, so I invoke the make as:

make world -DNOSECURE

This doesn't remove passwords, but it does inhibit the Kerberos stuff,
and the DES stuff.  Passwords then are based on MD5.  I usually use
-DNOPROFILE also, to suppress building all the profiled libraries (saves
time and diskspace, unless you need them).

If you mess up on security, I saved myself once by booting 'kernel -s' so
I entered single-user immediately, bypassing the password check.

If I have any of this wrong, and someone sees it, I'd be happy to be
corrected.

> thanks...
>
> Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
> scrappy@hub.org  |
>  soon to be:     |
> scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;