Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:25:24 -0800
From:      Norbert Papke <fbsd-ml@scrapper.ca>
To:        freebsd-x11 <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xorg - Server is already active for display 0

On Tue, 2007-27-02 at 14:55 +0000, Rajen Jani (BT Yahoo! Broadband)
wrote:
>           I ran Xorg after a successful make install clean session. I
>    ran the xfgconfig command and done the all the configuration.
>    When I try to run Xorg now it gives me the error above. Below is a
>    short history of what I have done. Any help will be great.
>    Regards,
>    Rajen
>    P.S. When I check the var log it only shows me the same error.
>    ritm# Xorg
>    Fatal server error:

A few suggestions:

* Ensure that you don't have a login manager such as gdm, kdm, wdm, or
xdm running.  They will start the X server.
* make sure you kill any existing X server.  "killall -9 Xorg"
* start the X server using the "startx" command rather than Xorg
* Look in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for error messages

Cheers,

-- Norbert.