Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:40:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, dfr@nlsystems.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: Panic in FFS/4.0 as of yesterday - update

:    The patch I've supplied has one bug in it that came up... While building
:    the world one of my 'ranlib's got stuck in 'newbuf' even after plenty of
:    buffers were freed up.  I think it's a simple missing wakeup... when
:    I spiked the load the ranlib got going again ( too bad, I was trying to
:    gdb -k the running system and the gdb command unstuck the ranlib! ).

    Fragmentation in the buffer_map, even though it is *twice* the size of
    maxbufspace, can cause map allocations to fail due to fragmentation.

    Joy.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>