Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2018 17:12:01 GMT
From:      Martin Simmons <martin@lispworks.com>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+b@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        se@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, brendan+freebsd@bbqsrc.net
Subject:   Re: fusefs and /etc/fstab

> For people trying to use fstab to mount fusefs filesystem(s), there is a
> problem -- the daemons expecting one argument after the options (the
> mount-point), are confused by there being two arguments: the "special"
> and the mount-point.
>
> The mount_fusefs(8) recommends using "auto" for the "special" (first
> field of the fstab), but that breaks too:
>
>     fuse: bad mount point `auto': No such file or directory

Yes, but mount doesn't run mount_fusefs when processing /etc/fstab.

> I first thought, this problem is specific to smbnetfs, but the program
> simply uses FUSE_ARGS_INIT(argc, argv) and otherwise relies on the
> libfuse library to process the command-line.
>
> The trick I found to work is to put one of the mount options into the
> first field:
>
>     -oallow_otherĀ  /smb fusefs
>     rw,failok,uid=105,late,mountprog=/opt/bin/smbnetfs
>
> but that's just a hack, of course.
>
> Perhaps, our libfusefs ports can be modified to, upon encountering two
> arguments remaining after the options, to either silently ignore the
> first one at all times, or only ignore it, if it says "auto"?

I think the problem is that /opt/bin/smbnetfs is a fuse daemon, not a FreeBSD
mountprog.  You need a mountprog that will run /opt/bin/smbnetfs with the
correct arguments (c.f. mount.fuse on Linux).

> Alternatively, maybe, mount_fusefs needs to strip the "special" off
> before invoking the specified daemon?

It does, but as noted above, it is not used when processing /etc/fstab.

__Martin