Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:36:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael Carlson <mcarlson@Legato.COM>
Subject:   Re: /dev/dsp busy with sblive on freebsd 4.4

On 22-Oct-2001 Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>  I'm not sure about the multiple dsp's, but kde's artsd autosuspends by
>  default after 1 minute, so if you don't use KDE's sound for that long,
>  you should be able to use avifile etc.  Or you can reduce the
>  autosuspend time using kde's control panel (I use 10 seconds).

I would use vchans to multiplex the sound card.

Eg sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4

Then tell artsd to use /dev/dsp0.3 and your other programs will use /dev/dsp0
(which is linked to dsp0.0).

If you have other 'long standing' sound apps (eg an mp3 player) you should tell
them to use dsp0.2 etc..

(BTW 4 is just an arbitary number I pulled out of my hat)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum