Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:32:49 +1000
From:      Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
To:        Antony Mawer <fbsd-security@mawer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attacks on ssh port

Antony Mawer wrote:
> Chris Ryan wrote:
>
>>protection - with the appropriate active firewall that
>>blocks their IP address after x failed attempts
>>permanently....
>

> Has anyone found any good scripts or utilities for automating this kind
> of thing? I too have been subject to these probings, and my initial
> thought was to firewall off any address after any number of incorrect
> attempts.
>
> While I could write a script to parse the ipfilter logs, I didn't want
> to go re-inventing the wheel for something which I was sure someone
> would have already attempted.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Cheers
> Antony

Is it actually good idea to block those IPs? I get lots of attacks too
on daily basis on my machines for: root, man, smmsp, nobody, bin,
daemon, tty, uucp, mailnull, you-name-it etc. For several weeks I sent
e-mails to abuse@{$attack-comming-from-x-network}.{$domain} and 0.01% of
them replied. However, the attacks never come from same networks nor IPs.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Mikhail