Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        michael knoepfler <mknoepf@abq.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, r3cgm@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: intel etherexpress cards

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, michael knoepfler wrote:

> hello,
> i would like to get some ethernet cards that work on both winnt and bsd.
> i noticed on the comp.unix...announce 2.2.1 that etherexpress pro/100
> and pro/10 cards are mentioned.  i notice in ads that there exist isa,
> eisa, and pci versions of these cards.  does FreeBSD support all the bus
> types?  also, other cards are mentioned - is it safe to infer that the
> differing bus versions are all supported?

No.

I can guarantee that the EtherExpress Pro/100B PCI version is supported.
I just noticed that the Pro/10 is supported.  Looking at the device entry
in LINT, it looks like it targets the ISA only.

To be honest, I would shoot for the Pro/100B PCI and/or the DC21x4x based
PCI ethernet cards.  I have one in this box and it performs like a champ.
For ISA, just about anything goes; I've had good luck with cheap
NE2000-compatible cards, surprisingly.  Steer clear of the EtherExpress
16's though.

> please reply to:
> mknoepf@abq.com.
> also, please cc to r3cgm@cdrom.com as he would like to know too.