Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 00:35:47 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@geocities.co.jp>, phantom@freebsd.org
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SGML->HTML: entities translation is broken for non-Latin1 charsets

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 06:02:12AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
>  Perhaps it is impossible from command line.  Alternatively,
>  try to add the following line to "includes.sgml" and
>  build the HTML files.
>
>    <!ENTITY nbsp SDATA "[nbsp  ]">
>
>  This overrides the HTMLlat1 entity.

I never try to build www pages from sgmls, perhaps Aleksey (phantom)
can try. BTW, can it be replaced diretly in HTMLlat1 as a patch?
I see no harm if &nbsp; &copy; etc. will appearse in latin1 docs too
instead of hardcoded values. Browsers usually have manual code page
switching ability, so user entered to FreeBSD www may have different code
page manually selected. Since FreeBSD and mirrors Apache not instruct
browser to switch to iso-8859-1, user can see FreeBSD code page in
different encoding he pre-select. In such case all hardcoded values will
be wrong, but all symbolic names still show properly. So I vote for
symbolic names even for Latin1 pages.

>  # Actually, Japanese-doc(uses 8bit character code) has
>  # the same problem.

Of course, all non-Latin1 pages are broken.

>  In addition, there seems some "&#160;" in www/ru/index.sgml.
>  They should be replaced with "&nbsp;".

Yes.

--
Andrey A. Chernov