Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:27:05 -0600
From:      David Webster <dwebster@bhmi.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Promise Ultra DMA PCI IDE Controller

Have recently downloaded the installation binaries needed for FreeBSD
3.0 RELEASE and have attempted to begin an installation.

I am using a Gateway P6-266 (Pentium II - 266Mhz) with 64MB Ram and a
Nitro 3D GX video card, Mitsumi 24X ATAPI CD-ROM, and Quantum Fireball
6.4GB Hardrive.

The problem I am having is that the primary on-board ISA disk controller
is disabled in the BIOS and Gateway has replaced this with a PCI based
primary disk controller.  The systems only hardrive uses this controller
in order to enable the Ultra-DMA performance features (not available via
the on-board controller).  The CD-ROM uses the onboard secondary
controller.  I have removed all the conflicting devices in the Kernel
via the UserConfig utility, including the ISA base primary controller.

On boot, during the hardware discovery phase, the PCI Bus search
correctly finds and identifies the Promise UltraDMA disk controller (and
all the other PCI based peripherals), however it never finds the
attached hardrive.  All other components, including the CD-ROM (and the
ISA based secondary controller it it attached to) are found.  The system
then complains there is no disk drive.  I am stuck.