Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:16:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        jb@what-creek.com
Cc:        atrens@nortel.com, current@freebsd.org, mf.danger@gmail.com, phk@phk.freebsd.dk, Alexander@leidinger.net, small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's embedded agenda

In message: <20060530051455.GA60261@what-creek.com>
            John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com> writes:
: As I said, writing a NAND driver under geom on FreeBSD is a trivial matter.
: That is what I did. The driver wasn't committed to FreeBSD because it
: is hardware specific to the board due to the way the the processor I/O
: is mapped. If you study the NAND implementations on embedded hardware,
: you will see that making a general operating system support them all with
: drivers is hard to do because of the different ways that the NAND chips
: are mapped in I/O. It's not like they are on a general bus that makes
: access to them the same.

Yes.  This driver does have a number of issues.  There needs to be
some additional layers of abstraction to make it generic.  The driver
you wrote works very well (we only had to fix a one or two minor
bugs).

Warner