Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:21:32 -0700
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tun devices and vpnc in CURRENT

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:18:49 +0200 Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft@gmx.net> wrote:
> On CURRENT, each time I stop/start vpnc a new tun device is created.
> Since I restart vpnc every time I re-connect to the network, my ifconfig
> output fills up with tun devices.
>
> On 6.2-RELEASE the tun0 device is reused each time I run vpnc.
>
> Reverting to src/sys/net/if_tun.c rev 1.162 shows the old behaviour. (It seems
> I'm noticing this a bit late)
>
> Is this a bug in either CURRENT or vpnc?
>
> If I set sysctl net.link.tun.devfs_cloning=0, vpnc doesn't work at all:
> # vpnc
> vpnc version 0.4.0
> kldload: can't load if_tun: File exists
> can't initialise tunnel interface: No such file or directory
>
> This is a CURRENT as of today. Please tell me if you need more info.

It looks like the problem is in the vpnc-script destroy_tun_device()
function, but even if I add FreeBSD to that, it creates the additional
interfaces.  Maybe this is because I'm passing it bogus data and the
connection attempt doesn't cleanup properly either.

Have you tried talking to the port writer or maintainer?

--
Brian Somers                                          <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !               <brian@FreeBSD.org>