Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 1996 19:49:20 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au (David Dawes)
Cc:        obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu, FreeBSD-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sad state of afairs for US ftp mirrors

David Dawes stands accused of saying:

> >No problem I think -- just ftp it from wcarchive.  But it was refusing
> >incoming connections (421 Service not available, remote server has closed
> >connection) (seems to be doing this a lot lately).  So I figure I'll just

This is likely to be a network problem between you & wcarchive rather
than wcarchive itself.  I certainly haven't had any problems with it
of late, and I probably hit it ~10 times a day from various directions
(aust, canda, europe, japan).

> >get it from a mirror site.  Using ncftp
> >ftpX.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs, where

There is nothing much in this directory.  CVS has been moved out to
the contrib tree where it belongs.  If you want the contrib segment
out of the CVS distribution, it's in src/contrib/cvs/contrib.

> I don't know if it is as it should be or not, but in the current source
> tree on freefall, most of those directories are nearly empty too.

This is correct.  See the discussion on -current/hackers some months
back about the contrib/ tree and policy for moving third-party
components there.