Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 1995 15:40:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        nick@columbia.dia.unisa.it (Nickolay Yanovich)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about FreeBSD upgrade

> 	Hello!

> 	I would ask some questions about FreeBSD 2.0R.

> 	I have installed FreeBSD 2.0-RELEASE which works good. In README
> file of FreeBSD 2.0-950112-SNAP I found interesting new features and
> information about the fixed bugs. In this connection some questions:

> 	1. Is it possible to upgrade my current version of FreeBSD or I must
> to make new installation for SNAP version?

Yes, you can grab just the srcdist and make world.

> 	2. Can I change for example only kernel of the system?

Not really.  Some of the routing code has changed in 2.0-950112-SNAP has
changed, and it's incompatible with 2.0-RELEASE.

> 	3. What will happen with my already installed packeges and
> applications in this case?

I haven't had any problems at all.  None of my user applications needed
to be reinstalled or recompiled.

> 	4. Also I have installed gcc-2.6.3. Must I reinstall after changing
> from 2.0-RELEASE to 2.0-SNAP version?

2.0-SNAP comes with 2.6.2, which gets recompiled and reinstalled when
you make world.  After you install the source tree, you probably could
update the sources for gcc before the compile.

> 	5. How I can configure IDE CD-ROM on my machine?

I don't believe that any IDE CD-ROM's are supported yet.  Wasn't
somebody working on this?

Good luck!