Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:31:37 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   vendor import questions

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

As part of switching to NetBSD's mtree I plan to import their versions
of a few files that are part of libc (for example all the bits of
vis/unvis).  I would like to do that via a vendor import, but I'm unsure
where to put the files and how to tag them.  For mtree itself the right
place is clearly base/vendor/NetBSD/mtree/dist, but we don't seem to
have a good example for libc bits.

There is currently a base/vendor/NetBSD/dist directory containing a
(very) partial source tree, but it seems to be unused in recent times.
If I did import into that tree, the next question would be how to tag
the import.  The base/vendor/NetBSD/fparseln_19990920/ directory shows
one seemingly sensible example, but I don't like the resulting explosion
of top level directories.  I also worry that having mixed versions in the
libc directory would make any attempt at sensible merging difficult
since we'd have to put mergeinfo on files.

An additional issue is where to put the files in the source tree.
Precedent seems to favor direct copies to src/lib/libc/gen etc.  In some
ways I think the optimal solution would be to put the bits in contrib
in feature specific directories like contrib/libc/vis, but that might
be annoying for some consumers.  That being said, the existence if
src/include means you can't simply check out libc so it's probably ok to
add more locations in the source tree for a good cause.

What's the right way to go here?

Thanks,
Brooks

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk