Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:59:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@csudsu.com>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for samba-shared printer...

> I think the problem is that under Windows 95, you aren't printing to a postscript printer driver (I, too, have an HP560C and
> I've never seen a postscript printer driver for it, at least not from HP).  I think you're printing on Win95 to a standard PCL
> printer driver that was shipped with the printer or with Win95.  On the FreeBSD machine, simply copy your existing
> printcap entry to another entry and (rename it of course) use a non-postscript filter (get rid of if= part or substitute a filter
> that is for PCL).  For anyone who is unaware, PCL is HP's Printer Control Language and there are different levels, like
> PCL 3, PCL 4, PCL5, and I think PCL 6.  Each higher, being a superset.  HP sells PCL language reference books...
>
> Let us know if this helps you out... I'm going to be doing the same on my machines in the next few days...

The filter that he is using uses ghost(something) that will convert input
for the printer to the language for the deskjets.  Deskjets are lil bit
silly when it comes to languages.  I went threw this before when I was
trying to set up printing.  But I used a freeware LPR program for windows
so I did not have to use samba for printing.  It simpiflied debuging.

Stefan