Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 1997 13:40:10 -0500
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rebooting problems

At 06:22 AM 3/3/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Every five to six days or so my 2.1.7-based system reboots.  There doesn't
seem to be ANYTHING present in the logs to explain this phenomena.
Everything seems to be stable and then it suddenly reboots.

>My system is a P6-200 with an Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI-III controller, 128
Megs

Hmm, I've noticed this type of thing on a mud machine that I'm an admin of.
 We had occaisional problems before moving to 2.1.7, but it seems to be
more frequent since.  I had a reason to suspect that it might be related to
the scsi card (we've got a 2940 in the machine) (of course, I can't
remember off the top of my head why it was that I suspected the scsi card
:P ).  I've noticed a bunch of changes recently to the driver for that card
in the stable branch, many even since we upgraded, so I'm wondering it it
might be worthwhile to try recompiling the driver with these new changes.

Our machine is a P5-166, 64 megs of ram, adaptec 2940, a PCI SMC EtherPower
ethernet card.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu