Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 16:05:18 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ron Klinkien <ron@zappa.demon.nl>
Subject:   Re: Athlon Power and FreeBSD-STABLE experiences.

On 5/25/01, 1:35:24 PM, "Ron Klinkien" <ron@zappa.demon.nl> wrote regard=
ing
Athlon Power and FreeBSD-STABLE experiences.:

> I have no questions but just a write down of my experience
> with installing fbsd on a fast new system, maybe it helps others.

<snip>

> After browsing through some hardware forums I choose for:
> ABit KT7A, Athlon TBird 1.2Ghz/133FSB, 256MB PC133 mem
> and IBM Deskstar 60GXP (IC35L040) 40Gb ATA100 disk.

<snip>

> Tried an old FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE CD and it installed fine
> strange enough. But after rebooting I got "UDMA ICRC switching back to=

PIO4"
> errors. ;-(((((

> Searching the fbsd archives I found alot of people with VIA 686 chips
> which had the same problems. Forcing to PIO mode is a no-no for me,
> -I didn't buy an UDMA100 disk/ctrl for nothing.-
> And using spiffy new hardware and correct 80-wire cables and everythin=
g,
> I decided to upgrade via cvsup to 4.3-STABLE, and build world/kernel,
> this all went fine. (With PIO mode enabled temporary)

> And after rebooting all the UDMA problems were gone!!

<snip>

<longing for an Athlon 1/1.2 Ghz and an ASUS A7M266 mobo...>
Is anyone currently running 4-S on this hardware, with **IDE** disks?

I know about installing/booting problems affecting 4.3-R: the VIA 686
chip did not work correctly with IDE disks.

It seems that I should write "did not use to work correctly", and "the
ASUS A7M266 M.B. works fine under -STABLE.

Am I missing something ?

TIA,
Salvo