Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 1997 18:14:09 +0100
From:      Lee McLoughlin <lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Things moving around on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

David Greenman wrote:
> >CCD?
>
>    "Concantenated Disk" driver. It's a pseudo disk device that lets one
> create simple volume sets from individual disk drives. It is usually used to
> create large pseudo disks from an array of smaller ones. It has no 'parity'
> bit or other volume fault tolerance mechanisms, however, so if one drive
> fails you lose the entire volume.

Not come across it before, thanks for the info.  I've only used concat' filestores
where I'm sure the disks are good and dumps are taken regularly!!!

>    sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk does indeed look impressive. It's obvious that
> someone has spent a lot of money on it. :-) ...we have to work with what
> we have, however, and I think our current operations and policies are
> generally working well.

SunSITE is worth a bob or two!  Now if only I could convince people to pay
staff salaries to run it I'd be happy!!

BTW we are only too happy to help house things like the BSD area.  The problem
for most people is that they are in the US and our SunSITE is in the UK.

--
Lee McLoughlin.                         Phone: +44 171 594 8388
IC-Parc, Imperial College,              Fax:   +44 171 594 8432