Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:32:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk>
To:        "A.K" <blorb@biosys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This sucks!

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, A.K wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I purchased FreeBSD because my ISP runs it on my dedicated servers. So i
> thought why not use it at home on my LAN for testing and stuff.

A good idea, FreeBSD is an excellent server platform, and can turn your
humble PC into a fine workstation...

> I invested the 40 bucks and ordered FreeBSD 3.0. But now after 8 hours
> of work and installation I'm kinda fed up with it. Nothing works. Apache
> doesn't work, Xwindows doesn't work (although I updated it to support
> all my hardware) and the whole directories and everything look different
> from my webserver.

Sorry your having problems! Your obviously reasnably competent, as you've
managed to post to this list... This list is absolutely full of people who
are willing to help you - but they can only help you if you write and tell
us what's wrong! A simple "it doesn't work" doesn't help, and by the look
of it - your writing too late now as well! :(

> And I also want to complain about all the hardware
> and installation routines. They suck. I guess you have to be an expert
> already only to get FreeBSD installed and working.

FreeBSD is very different from 'Windows' which is often the only operating
system users have had exposure to... The installation routines are
sometimes a little rough around the edges - but they do work! Once again,
if you post the type of problem you having (or look through the FAQ on the
website) someone will probably help...

If you were installing Windows, what would you do? - Bin that as well at
the first sign of trouble?

> I recommend you take a look at Turbolinux. They know how to make the
> installation easy and understandable for non linux/unix experts.

That is what we're aiming for, maybe you could come up with some
constructive critisim? - or suggestions like "Turbolinux does this - it's
cool, why don't we do it?", or "I got stuck at this point, but if it
had said 'x x x x x x' I could have made it..."

> So I will delete FreeBSD and install Turbolinux again if I can't find
> help with these problems anywhere. I should have given the 40 bucks to a
> bum this would have been a better investment.
> Best regards
> Alex

Sorry you didn't make it... In my experience, FreeBSD is very reliable,
expandable and stable...

Maybe if you'd had the patience to stick it out and talk to people - we
probably could have helped - but if your going to give up, please don't
slate FreeBSD - it's not it's fault you couldn't get it working, it's your
fault - if only for the fact you've not given it a propper chance...

ps.

Your 'Best Regards' would appear to be the only part of your email that
wasn't on fire, I'm hoping your next reply - if you do reply will follow
it's shining example? (Be polite, be patient!)

Regards,

Karl