Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:50:51 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        james <jimwatts@quik.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to modem

I've also CC questions@freebsd.org. Could you also do this next time?

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 09:21:46PM -0800, james wrote:
> Alex de Kruijff wrote:

> >>im not sure of the name but it is an old internal jumper style with the
> >>tiny switches instead of the pull off style of jumpers
> >>thkns ill try dmesg  well I took it out and looked at it it is set to
> >>com 4  and its a rockwell an old one the dmesg didn't seem to know what
> >>it was will try to give more info  i am useing a aptiva with 32 megs ram
> >>and the vedio card has 2 mb mem what else there is an maxetor 1 gig hd
> >>

> >(Is it ISA or PCI?)
> >
> >I bleave, from what i have read, that you don't requere the port you
> >installed. Leave it for now.
> >
> >What have you done to get it working? (Read documentation, commands
> >entered)
> >
> >You wanna read this:
> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/userppp.html
> >

> hey thanks for your patiance  I read the page from the link and i am
> thinking i may not have the modem set right it was set to com four and
> i changed  it to com 2

A PC normaly have two com port and these are com 1 and 2. You can change
it to com 2 if you like, but you do have to the com port 2 off line. At
the time that i was struggeling with my modem my thougths where that com
4 would be /dev/cuaa3. It exists so FreeBSD sould be able to handle it.

> also there is an error message when I click on the kppp dail up icon i
> get this error : /etc/resolve.conf is missing or cannot be read.

Whe you call your ISP it normaly gives you the information you need to
use the internet. The IP of the next node is one of them and goes in to
this file. I'll give you the shell command that just creates this file,
but doesn't place anything in it, since souldn't requere that. The right
permissions are created by defauld.  Run as Root:
touch /etc/resolve.conf

> Ask
> your andministator to creat this file . (can be empty) with appropriate
> read write permissions . I am a dunce a creating things so how do I
> proceed??? it is plugged into an ISA slot if that helps

My advise would be to forget kppp for now until you have you modem
working with ppp. The command you give from the shell (as root) to dial
are: (# and > are not part of the command)
# ppp
> dial provider
At this time you should hear you modem dial. If it doesn't change
something and try again.

Create the configuration files as stated in 18.2.1.3.1 PPP and Static IP
Addresses and 18.2.1.3.2 PPP and Dynamic IP Addresses. I'm assuming you
have a dynamic IP address, like most calles have. Then try to dial. If
it doesn't work change the com ports and try again.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/