Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:47:13 +0200
From:      Marc_van_Woerkom@notes.labcontrol.com
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ensoniq aquired by Creative

Marc van Woerkom
12.12.97 17.47

Hi!

I just visited the Ensoniq site to look for the 8mb sound banks for my
Audio PCI card.

There (http://www.ensoniq.com/html/creativepr.htm) was an interesting
announcement:

  Malvern,PA  December 10, 1997 ENSONIQ, a world leader in audio
technology,
  today announced that is has entered into an agreement to be acquired by
  Creative Technology Ltd. (NASDAQ: CREAF). Creative, based in Singapore,
  is the worlds? leading provider of multimedia technology for the personal
  computer.
  This strategic acquisition will enable ENSONIQ and Creative to extend
  their reach in the PCI audio segment of the PC OEM and PC motherboard
  markets.
  Creative?s corporate headquarters and primary manufacturing are
  based in Singapore, with sales, distribution and research and development
  being carried out though an extensive, global network of subsidiaries
  located in North America, Europe, Asia and Africa.
  ENSONIQ is a key innovator in the design and development of PCI audio
  microchip technology and has strong brand recognition associated with its
  line of electronic musical instruments.

  "We are extremely pleased to be joining forces with Creative," said
  Albert Charpentier, president of ENSONIQ. "This merger allows us to
further
  continue our focus on the OEM audio business an area where we have
  already made major inroads, including the introduction of AudioPCI TM
  earlier this year. (...)

IMHO the Audio PCI sounds really excellent, maybe this sale will
increase the chance for FreeBSD support in the future if the card gets
more popular and they are willing to disclose the specs.

Regards,
Marc