Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECP and EPP?

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Greg Pavelcak wrote:

> I have noticed on my ISA I/O board and in the BIOS Setup for my
> on-board controllers that I can set the parallel port to standard, ECP
> or EPP. I checked some archives, but it seems that everyone else
> already knows what these things mean. Can you tell me what these
> different settings offer and which one I'm better off with for a
> parallel Iomega Zip and for laplink connection from my desktop to
> laptop. I want to have two parallel ports, one for each of these. If I
> print at all, it will be rare.

One of these modes makes sure that bidirectional mode is enabled, and
another is a high-speed interface that uses IRQs and DMAs. I think that
enabling ECP is okay.

You'll have to check with laplink's docs; if it works okay now, you can
try fiddling the settings but it may not make much of a difference.

FreeBSD could care less.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo