Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 07:38:15 GMT
From:      Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make world /etc update

> Hi, Joseph:

> While reading the thread that resulted from your posting I learned
> about a utility called "mergemaster(8)", which, apparently, is
> designed for specifically updating /etc folder and friends.

> Although I haven't tried using it, I did have a quick look at its man
> page, and it looks very promissing. I'm sure going to use it the next
> time I upgrade my system. You might want to take a look at it!

Thanks, I read the man page on it and I will try it too.  But now I've=20
got seemingly worse problems. =20
I decided to update the source again and 'make world' again, so I=20
could start the whole project over from scratch.  Before dropping into=20
single user mode to rebuild the system, I did 'rm -rf /usr/obj/'. =20
This is supposed to make the 'make world' speed up somewhat. Funny=20
thing was, it won't allow me to remove some of the directories under=20
/usr/obj/. =20
Yes, I was running as root.  So I went down into the directory and=20
find a strange thing:
/usr/obj/usr/src/games/dm/FreeBSD
But I can't cd to this directory because it doesn't exist!  I can't=20
remove it either! =20
I thought, oh well, I'll try 'make world' anyway.  It stops with Error=20
code 1, because of that damn phantom directory.  Is my filesystem=20
corrupted or something?