Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 15:07:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Denial of service attack from "imagelock.com"

> At 11:29 AM 5/22/99 -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> >Did you even try the simple way:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Yes, I did. Unfortunately, there's no way of telling whether the
> company is what it says it is or why it would have attempted to
> hit the server with so many rapid-fire requests from multiple IP
> addresses. I've been trying to contact the company and hopefully
> we will know soon. However, in the meantime, I'd STRONGLY recommend
> that people firewall its IPs -- 209.133.111/24. At best, they're
> terribly misguided; at worse, they're outright malicious.

3rd option: they/you/both have a slow line, and someone was
in a hurry to suck your whole web site...by running several
copies of a web crawler or something.

i've had to slap people in the wrist for that before :-), since
OUR firewall/proxy starts buckling under such a load....

just my tuppence

Kiril