Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:36:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: roll-in installation?

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Greg Shenaut wrote:

> Is there a mechanism already in place which would allow a hands-off
> roll-in installation from SCSI tape of a FreeBSD distribution onto
> a virgin machine?

You might be able to hack it using an install script that takes care of
the initial setup (or at least guides you through it).  The install script
manpage is in the sysinstall sources; you can fetch it from
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/release/sysinstall/sysinstall.8.
Run it through `groff -Tascii -mdoc sysinstall.8 | more' to read, and/or
copy to /usr/local/man/man8 and use `man sysinstall'.

>  What I have in mind would be auto-generating a
> tape image of the model system using some combination of dump, tar,
> and dd, along with parameter blocks containing information for
> fdisk/mkfs/format.  Then you boot to a floppy containing code which
> can deal with the tape; it rolls it in, and, presto changeo, you've
> got a complete, bootable, system only needing its rc.conf file
> edited in order to run.  (Assuming the model has the same hardware
> as the target, of course.)

Cool idea.  Tape installation had some peculiarities at last check; poke
around in the docs for info.