Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:11:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, des@des.no
Subject:   Re: UFS2 with SAN

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
 > Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org> writes:
 > > Well, I'm not sure what issues they had, but have had fantastic
 > > success with NFS and FreeBSD.  FreeBSD with the right hardware and
 > > tweaks can make some NetApp boxes look weak. *cough* WAFL *cough*
 >
 > I'd be very surprised, considering that NetApp filers run FreeBSD.

AFAIK they run a heavily modified NetBSD, but at least it's
some sort of BSD.  ;-)

In fact I'm very satisfied with NetApp filers and their
WAFL system.  We have NetApp Filer clusters in production
at customers, they exhibit exceptional reliability, even
if a disk, a disk shelf, or an entire filer head fails,
the cluster keeps running.  Not to mention that it submits
a support mail automatically and you get the replacement
without having to do anything yourself.

I'm afraid it is not possible to implement such a redundant
NFS cluster with FreeBSD.

Not to mention snapshots ...  Years before FreeBSD intro-
duced snapshots, WAFL supported them, and they work a whole
lot better.  Creating a snapshot takes just a few seconds,
and file system access never freezes during that period.
It works so well that you can create hourly snapshots for
simple "undelete" usage without affecting the usability and
performance of the file system at all.

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

Python is executable pseudocode.  Perl is executable line noise.