Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:56:09 -0300 (EST)
From:      Luiz Morte da Costa Junior <morte@correionet.com.br>
To:        Pete Mckenna <pmckenna@uswest.net>
Cc:        Kevin Lynn <klynn@santacruz.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: L440GX+ Server Board

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Pete Mckenna wrote:
> > > I have also put an adaptec 2940 in them and it works as well.
> >
> > What is the adaptec transfer rate? I have tested with a adaptec 80Mb, and
> > it didn't work too. The chipset is the same the AIC 7896.
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking. I havn't put an Adaptec 7896 into this
> motherboard, just added a 2940 to the built in 7896 and didn't have any
> problems. We use LVD drives on the A or 0 channel and they need external
> termination. I don't have transfer rate numbers handy but could generate
> some if that's what your asking ?

Ok. I try to explain again.

The L440GX+ Server board has a AIC 7896 onboard (I haven't put), whith 2
SCSI interfaces: one with 80Mb transfer rate and one with 40Mb. I have 2
SCSI disk (with 80Mb transfer rate) and did the following tests:

. I put the SCSI disk in 80Mb interface;
. I put the SCSI disk in 40Mb interface;
. I added a 2940 (with 80Mb transfer rate) and I put the disck SCSI.

All tests didn't work, so my server stays very slow.

> > Another test that I have done with my kernel was to put the flags below:
>
> This only refers to IDE drives not SCSI drives. We don't use anything
> other than SCSI in these boxes. Which are you using ?
> >
> > controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
> > disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0 flags 0xb0ff
> > disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1 flags 0xb0ff
> > controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15
> > disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0 flags 0xb0ff
> > disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1 flags 0xb0ff

Ok. I don't use IDE disk.

What is your BIOS and BMC firmware version? I called to Intel support and
they told me that my version BIOS is out of date. I have to upgrade to
1.05 (BMC firmware) and 7.3 (BIOS). Could it be this my problem?

Thanks.

[]s,

Luiz Morte da Costa Junior
Analista de Redes                E-mail: morte@correionet.com.br
Telefone: +55 19 754-2532        Fax: +55 19 255-7576
CorreioNet - Correio Popular     Campinas - SP - Brazil