Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 1995 10:14:37 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, dyson@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Repeatable crashes in current with 8Mb machines

Since the changes for 1Tb filesystems, the 2 8Mb machines under my care crash
upon startup (usually around starting the portmapper) whereas a 16Mb machine
which while slightly unstable, doesn't (it used to crash whilst serving NFS,
but now that I've compiled that into the kernel rather than as an LKM, it
works fine. BTW, the LKMs have been rebuilt from scratch a number of times,
and even with NFS in the kernel, the 8Mb machines still crash). Anyway, the
8Mb machines both give the traceback after crashing in vfs_bio_awrite+0x45.
Below is a (hopefully accurate) rendition of the screen after ending up in DDB.

Fatal trap 12: Page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address 	= 0x28
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf0129785
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 72 (named)
interrupt mask		= bio
kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
Stopped at	_vfs_bio_awrite+0x45:	movl	0x28(%eax),%eax
db>

Happy hunting!

	Stephen

--

        I do not speak for the Worker's Compensation Board of Queensland -
                     They don't pay me enough for that!