Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 18:15:22 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Subject:   Re: Assigning more disk space...

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> > When I installed FreeBSD in my machine, it has Windows95, so I used fips
> > and assigned half of the disk space to freebsd and the other half to
> > windows. Now, I want to throw away Win95 and assign its disk space to
> > FreeBSD. Also, I am running out of swap (I used the defaults when
> > installing), so probably I need to assign aditional swap space too. What
> > is the best way to do both things? My FBSD version is 2.1.5.
>
> This is pretty tough. Having two FreeBSD slices on the same hard disk is
> a bit of a problem because only one of them can be bootable, and by
> murphy's law, if you delete your Win95 partition and put a FreeBSD slice
> instead, it will render your old FreeBSD slice unbootable. I'd suggest

why would it necessarily render the old slice unbootable?
the bootstrapping doesn't care what kind of partition/slice
it loads ... ?  you just wouldn't want booteasy to try to boot
an un-bootable partition.  why can't you just reformat and label
the 95 partition from FBSD, and add it to fstab?

 Sleep: a sign a caffeine deprivation ... http://www.anchorage.net/~un_x