Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 09:41:23 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        ccba <ccba@mindspring.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: LAN Postscript Problems

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, ccba wrote:
> Hello Again:
>
>     In the /etc/printcap file, I added the following entries:
>
>     rlp | Remote Printer:\
>         :rm==Jib_Jack:sd=/var/spool/output/Jib-Jack:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>
>     and I create the necessary Jib-Jack directory in the output folder.
>
>     However when I do a "lpr -P Jib-Jack /etc/printcap"
>
>     it still gives me "lpr: unknown printer " message.
>
>     What else am I doing wrong ??
>
>  Phil Wong
> New FreeBSD guy

When using the -P option, the name of the printer is what is
specified on the first line of the printcap, i.e. rlp or Premote
Printer. There is also no space between the P and the name, so the
command line you would want appears like this:

lpr -Prlp /etc/printcap, or lpr -PRemote Printer /etc/printcap (Not
sure if the space in the name might cause problems).

Also, not sure if this was just a typo, but it should be
:rm=Jib_Jack: not :rm==Jib_Jack:.

 --  Walter

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.