Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 2020 14:47:00 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se>
Cc:        grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is pkg site forbidden by brower?

> On 6. Sep 2020, at 12:00, Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se> wro=
te:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFOn 2020-09-06 09:00, grarpamp wrote:

>> Some more people have noted this change
>> as breaking tool scripts, etc.
>> And useful meta files are unfortunately now invisible:
>> packagesite.txz, meta.txz, pkg.txz, pkg.txz.sig
>> If someone want to block the '/.../All/' dir full of pkgs,
>> maybe, but do not block any other part of the hier.
>=20
> The reason that folder listing was disabled on the package download sites i=
s that it used too much resources.  For every hit on those URLs, the web ser=
ver had to dynamically generate the folder listing, and send it.  This cause=
d DDoS-like scenarios, where these were hit repeatedly, which caused problem=
s for legitimate traffic.  Since the relevant information is available in th=
e txz files above, and also on freshports, and since pkg have no need for di=
rectory listing, it was disabled.
>=20

Is this part of why pkg repos are performing so much better recently? I=E2=80=
=98m quite happy about that :)

If there=E2=80=99s a use case for having access to this information, we coul=
d simply provide it through a static index.html that=E2=80=99s recreated eve=
ry time the directory changes.

Cheers,
Michael