Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:50:45 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        freebsd-ports@webcom.it
Subject:   Conflict between kde11 and kde2

Hi guys,

sorry for posting this instead of a proper PR. I was about to do that, but I
think this is to be discussed, it's not something with a trivial solution.

I installed KDE2 (no previous installation of KDE11) and everything was fine.
I then proceeded to install a few ports (ktamaga, kssh) and suddenly Konqueror
was completely f**cked up wrt to fonts; maybe other issues too, had no time to
dig around.
Thinking of what I had just done, I figured out ktamaga and the rest all depend
on kdecore.3 and qt 1; just deinstalling the ports using kdecore.3, deinstalling
kdecore11 and qt1*, and re-making everything (with tweaked Makefiles) and
reinstalling fixed the issue. I don't which of kdecore11 or qt1* is to blame
here, but either is.

The changes I made to the Makefiles were basically to depend on kdecore.4, and
USE_QT2. This fixed kssh, but not ktamaga (even though I suspect it's my fault
there).

My case aside, if there is this incompatibility, we must find a way around
this. One way would be to have ports compatible with both KDE1 and KDE2 choose
the most recent one. I have not enough experience with KDE to know any better.

Bye,
	Andrea

--
            Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.