Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 2002 19:39:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/46520: stability issues re - mplayer and audio output

>Number:         46520
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       stability issues re - mplayer and audio output
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD TMA-1.brad-x.com 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Mon Aug 5 16:15:45 EDT 2002 root@TMA-1.brad-x.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/DISCOVERY-IPF i386

	The mplayer port has several problems with stability when used with
	sound output options other than OSS sound.

	First, when SDL audio output is used, sound plays and the player behaves
	correctly until the user exits the program. A quick look at top then
	shows that mplayer is now consuming 100% of the CPU and must be killed
	with a signal 9.

	The second noticed issue is artsd output in concert with KDE; mplayer
	again performs fine while it's running, but it crashes with a signal 11
	upon exit and dies with the messages:

	MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: exit_player

	I can provide debug output if instructed as to how to do so. Since this
	set of circumstances through my testing has shown to be unique to
	FreeBSD I thought it appropriate to PR, in case the port itself can be
	tweaked in some way.

>How-To-Repeat:
	-Build mplayer with SDL, ARTS support
	-Select each as an audio output method, play a movie, exit player.

>Fix:

	Not known yet