Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 19:32:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org, Greg Skafte <skafte@worldgate.com>
Subject:   Re: Tekram 390U and Seagate hawk ST32151N

[Sent to hardware and scsi; unless you have a reason, please followup to
only one list.  scsi is probably better, since it is dealing with freebsd
drivers now.]

Nickolay's suggestion worked, so now we can get past the BIOS probing
stage.  However, FreeBSD still won't boot.  <sigh> I am using -stable with
the NCR driver (ncr.c and ncrregs.h) from -current dropped in.  A 300 meg
drive will work fine, but when it tries to probe the 2 gig hawk we get
something like:

	sd0(ncr0:4:0): COMMAND failed (9 ff) @[address]
		sd0 could not get size error ncr0: aborting job
	ERROR (90:0) (0-21-15) (0/13) @ (418:43000060)
		script cmd = 878b0000
		reg : [deleted]
	ncr0: restart failed

That is not exact and doesn't include some of the important stuff for
debugging it, but I don't have a copy of the full message right now.

Booting with a 2.2-ALPHA disk works fine, so either I missed something
from the NCR stuff between stable and current or there was another change
that fixed this.  Anyone have any ideas about what it could be?  Nothing
stood out in the CVS logs as being obvious.

If all else fails, we just have to move to 2.2 which won't kill us, but we
would prefer not to for this machine.