Date:      Sat, 05 Apr 1997 12:15:12 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        NISHIO Shuichi <nishio@caleche.kecl.ntt.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: APIC_IO problem on Tyan S1668

Hi,

>>What I did is:
>>(1) Installed 3.0-970209-SNAP (worked fine)
>>(2) cvsup-ed the SMP kernel source
>>(3) did "cvs update -Pd -D '02/10/97 00:00:00 GMT"

>After doing
>>   cvs -q update -Pd -D '02/09/97 00:00:00 GMT'
>
>that modification went away, so I added the following 3 lines manually.

There's the problem, I should have caught it sooner.  The SMP kernel sources
are mutually exclusive with the mainline kernel sources.  When you did the
cvsup not only did that modification go away, but almost everything else SMP
specific must have gone away!  reload the SMP kernel sources into a
seperate directory, say /usr/src/smpsys.  then cd to /usr/src/smpsys/i386/conf,
config, make, install, etc., all in the /usr/src/smpsys tree.  When the
"include" headers are somewhat out of sync between the mainline code and the
SMP code it sometimes becomes necessary to play games where you keep the SMP
src in the same tree (ie /usr/src/sys), but since the SMP src and the
3.0-970209-SNAP are in sync you don't need to bother.

---
> Should I recompile everything with the SMP kernel?
no need.

---
>I'll try a kernel without the patch to exception.s, recompile libkvm.a
>and dmesg, and see what happens.
again, no need.  once you get the correct kernel source compiled your
problems will go away.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by