Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 95 18:34:54 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        toor@jsdinc.root.com (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        star-gate.com!hasty@implode.root.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why IDE is bad

> > Is only 5 secondes faster...
> >
> I believe that async mounts are essentially unimplemented in UFS???

What do you mean "async mounts"?

Since kernel entry via system call is atomic unless you have SMP
or multithreading to support multiple kernel thread contexts, it
really can't be anything but synchronous.

A UFS mount in the kernel goes to the device, reads the volume
header and superblock into core, gets a vnode for inode 2, and
arranges to have references to the vnode in the file system it
is mounted into return vnode 2 of the mounted fs.  Then it
returns from the mount call.

This is synchronous, but it is also guaranteed to be deterministically
quick, by definition.

Am I missing something about what you mean when you say "async mounts"?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.