Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 15:19:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        muir@idiom.com (David Muir Sharnoff)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

David Muir Sharnoff stands accused of saying:

> * > Well, the second part of this task is to do IP address rewrites on
> * > the fly.  Give all my dialup users static addresses in a reserved
> * > network and then rewrite them on the fly as needed.
> *
> * This is not going to be popular with _anyone_.  Why use a reserved network?
> * Why not either grab a class C (not hard) or use something like SLiRP?
> * (SLiRP works _very_ well these days).
>
> There are a number of advantages.  You can rewrite the addresses
> differently depending on which POP the user connected to.  It can almost
> transparent to almost everyone.  You'll never run out of addresses
> or have to hassle the NIC for more.

Address rewriting is not going to make you popular with too many people.
SLiRP is close to transparent as well, and doesn't require any work on
your part.

> * Not resetting modems on DTR drop is inviting sure death from modem firmware
> * problems, _particularly_ with low-end modems like the sportster.
>
> That's why it's important to issue an "atz" afterwards.

... you're still at the mercy of the modem's firmware.

> * No, the problem's just that not all CDroms can be meaningfully identified
> * from their volume labels or contents.
>
> No matter.  Make one up.  A readable hash of the contents of the
> root directory.  Anything.

So then what do you do with it?  Create a filename based on the hash?
Look it up somewhere?  Why not md5 the first 50K of the disk in a
shellscript as I originally suggested, and use a LUT to get a pathname?

> * Optional point-n-click sysadmin interface yes.  Netscape/Webserver/CGIbin
> * requiring implementation _no_.
>
> Tk vs. HTML.  Not worth fighting about.

Nothing to do with that; I'm talking about the spastic overhead that such
an approach imposes on a smaller system.

> -Dave

]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "I seek PEZ!" - The Tick        [[