Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 08:43:03 +0800
From:      Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>
To:        Frank Chen Hsiung Chan <frankch@waru.life.nthu.edu.tw>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XEMACS20 with MULE

Thanks for the suggestion of kcfonts, but it did not work X-Server still crashed.

While looking at how fonts are installed I saw that .bdf files are normal text
so I compared the contents of the chinese/big5fonts/work/taipei16.bdf with some of
the 16 pixel fonts from the x11/etlfonts collection.

The line "X_HEIGHT 4294967295" looks very strange, so I replaced it
with the line "PIXEL_SIZE 16".  The new file called '~/font/s/tai.bdf'

  (Just deleting the line caused bdftopcf to core dump.)

I then ran:
  cd ~/font
  bdfto pcf -o tai.pcf s/tai.bdf
  gzip tai.pcf
  mkfontdir
  xset +fp ~/font
  xset fp rehash

XEMACS20.3 found this font and display BIG5 file.

Problem is this font is very tiny and I have not yet found a way of getting
XEMACS20.3 to display larger font, does it only use 16 pixel font?

The taipei24.bdf has been generated by 'et2bdf' and not 'getbdf' so may have different
problem.  I have not attempted to try changing the taipei24.bdf yet.

---
Christopher and Melody <hsw@acm.org>