Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:51:47 +0000
From:      "Jesus A. Mora Marin" <amora@zoom.es>
To:        lutz@muc.de (Lutz Albers)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Becoming a daemon the long way...

Hi, Lutz!
Thanks for replying.

> I zombie is a process, which has ended, but for which the exit code has not
> been fetchted by the parent process. As long as the parent process lives,
> so will the zombie.

Agree.

> If a process exists which has has spawed child
> processes, then these processes will be reassigned to process-id 1
> (init). init will (hopefully) read the exit codes for all exited
> processes.

That's the really interesting point. Theorically every process whose
parent exits without waiting for it to die, would be inherited by
init. Otherwise the child process will become a zombie when it dies.
In my own experience an ICL DS-90 system, running SysVR4, generates a
large number of zombies when it goes REALLY short of memory -and
probably of CPU-. This is annoying, since you've got your process
table plagued with these nasty guys. Again, are there kernel-related
conditions -say race conditions, I don't know- that makes a system
prone to generate zombies? Has this been observed in FreeBSD?

See you!

----
Jesus A. Mora Marin, MD (aka EA7HAC, ex-EC7DVE)
Email: amora@zoom.es