Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:13:56 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whay is broken ATARAID that ignored?

--Boundary-02=_1Lu8AJTP/D+rtKU

Am Montag, 12. Juli 2004 21:00 schrieben Sie:
> Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > I reported that atarid is broken for sil0680 since S=F8rens last commit=
 on
> > 07/25 (rev 1.79.)
> > Nobody responded nor is there any comment in UPDATING.
> > This is a severe bug and nobody seems to care about, at least I haven't
> > got any "I know, but....."
> >
> > The man page still claims to support these controllers. But they've nev=
er
> > really been. As soon as one drive fails, the support fails because no
> > rebuild is possible (with -stable).
> >
> > Please remove the HPT372, sil0680 and (I tested that one today) the
> > sil649 from the man page as beeing supported. They are not. Neither in
> > -current nor in -stable.
> > People like me take these man pages as reference and purchase hardware
> > which is said to be supported.
> >
> > Or fix it. At least there should be a note in UPDATING. It's horrible to
> > find out that suddenly the system doesn't detect ar0 any more!!!
> > And nobody cares about for over two weeks.......
> >
> > If I could fix it I would do it. Regrettably I can't. But I did painful
> > tests.....
>
> Well, you get what you paid for :)
>
> Anyhow the problem probably is that only SiI type RAID are looked for
> and you have FreeBSD native type defined since that was what was there
> before the LSI/AMI stuff was added.
>
> I'll look at it when I have time, currently I'm on vacation, a damned
> well earned one if you ask me 8)

Hello S=F8ren, nice to hear from you.
=46irst, have a nice holiday and don't care about the sil068 any more, just=
=20
remove support for it, at least as raid1 mirror, I think it's wasted time=20
trying to get this controller working.
I'm about to do a test series about these "cheap" controllers and found tha=
t=20
the SiliconImage are simply trash.
I'd say to concentrate on the promise chips, they work well and Highpoint i=
s=20
providing drivers which also have all the functionality one needs, so radi1=
=20
support for the HPT could also be removed.

Thanks you and I hope when you're back from vacation I finished my tests.

Best regards,

=2DHarry

> -S=F8ren

--Boundary-02=_1Lu8AJTP/D+rtKU