Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:23:55 -0500
From:      "jennings" <jennings@kos.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   nfs

Hi, I am not a complete newbie to Linux or FreeBSD. I would like to install
my fresh new copy of FreeBSD 3.4 onto a computer which has not cdrom but
does have a compatible NIC on a small LAN.

I have been trying to export the cdrom drive from the Linux machine so as to
perform a NFS install of FreeBSD. Neither the FreeBSD Handbook nor much
Linux documentation is helping. I guess I cannot read between the lines :-(

Here's what I did.
1\ Setup the Linux machine as a NFS Server
2\ exported the cdrom via a line in the /etc/exports file (/cdrom *(ro)
*(ro) )
3\ restarted the NFS Daemon and check to make sure its alive
4\ Made the 2 install disks for FreeBSD they work!

Now I have no DNS setup yet because I wanted the FreeBSD to be the DNS
server. When asked for the NFS server during the install I simply typed "
ip-address:/cdrom " and figured this should work.

My network does work and does not exhibit and irregularities.

Any ideas of how to check to see if I got a login failure or what I am doing
wrong would be appreciated.

If this is the wrong place for this message then I dearly apologize
forthright.

Thanks Mike Jennings