Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 18:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        cracauer@cons.org
Cc:        hoek@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/ilu Makefile

 * I'm the maintainer. I need to build PLIST on the fly, unless I want
 * the port's build to depend on many other big language packages that
 * are irrelevant to 99% of the users (who want to use C, C++ or maybe
 * Java).
 *
 * I spent quite some time to make it work in the cases of
 * - compiling with any target language install or not installed

I assume you mean the port auto-detects what's installed and builds
only stuff that's needed to support those language.

 * - building a binary package and installing it on a machine with less
 *   languages installed.
 * - the other way round

Do you have a minimum feature set you want for packages?  If that's
the case, you can add *_DEPENDS conditional to
defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING) to ensure they are installed first.

Satoshi