Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:40:54 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@FreeBSD.org>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New rules for naming patches

Trevor Johnson wrote:

> > Please let this thread die at least until you will come with full-fledged
> > patches/* proposal.
>
> In my message "proposal:  update-patches"
> (http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/167/2000/6/0/3964653/) I requested
> that we adopt the OpenBSD folks' naming scheme, and I presented my
> adaptation of their update-patches utility for generating and updating
> patches with that nomenclature.  If anything more is needed, please let me
> know.

Yes, but your message tells almost nothing about why we should need the new
naming scheme. The update-patches target doen't seems a very strong argument
for it, because you can construct simple script telling which file each
patch-?? corresponds to and use it in this target instead. Moreover conversion
from the old to the new naming cheme uavoidably will mean loosing *all*
history, because it's nearly impossible to perform such massive repo-copy, and
even if you would propose automated script that will do such repo-copy this
will mean mega repo-bloat given the current number of ports/patches.

-Maxim