Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:54:40 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel extensions, &c. &c.

Michael Smith wrote:

> (Mailbox overload!)
>
> Lee Crites stands accused of saying:

> > >Are you admitting some experience and maybe offering to help?  Wonderful!
> >
> > Well, I've tried to 'admit[] some experience and maybe offer[] to help'
> > twice before.  This is the first time I have received a positive response to it.

The trouble seems to be that there is no single "task master" who
can tell you what you should be doing. So if peple are hacking away on
their
own code they usually feel that they haven't really got the time to
explain every thing to some-one new , or that they are not happy with
others seeing their code in that state, etc.

you need to find something you are interested in and just
start on it yourself..
other people will very quickly notice you and
include you in the relevant conversations.

> That's unhappy 8(
>
> > The first time (about sockets and such) seemed to have actually garnered
> > some quasi-offense.  I was, in fact, somewhat surprised.  After two decades
> > in the computer industry, including working as a consultant in many
> > different fields, this was the first time I felt snubbed at the offer of
> > free help.  (While it is true that loading the os on a machine and joining
> > some lists doesn't make me a 'part' of FreeBSD, I did have some hopes at
> > kind of wedging my foot in the door, so to speak, by trying to help out in
> > areas I understood fairly well.)

What did you offer?
there must have been a miscommunication somewhere..

> TBH, I don't recall this at all.  I certainly don't think that it could be
> described as the "normal" state of affairs.
>
> > I wish you guys luck in trying to come to a good conclusion in this (and the
> > few other) debate going on.  A 'good' conclusion, imo, is one where all
> > parties can come away feeling good with what is happening and where it is
> > going, and are happily working together towards the same goals.
>
> Thanks!  Hopefully your mail problems have been resolved and you can
> share in the process; I for one would be happy to have your experience
> and perspective around, and I'm certain I wouldn't be alone.

me too