Date:      Wed, 16 May 2012 18:11:32 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "make delete-old" performance.

On May 16, 2012, at 4:06 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> I recently ran "make delete-old" on a -current box and felt it was
> rather slow.  That prompted me to do some more careful experiments.
>=20
> On one box where I have both 8-stable and 9-stable available, there
> was a ~30x slowdown (based on 5 runs, ignoring the first).  I don't
> have a -current world on that box so I can't directly compare but on
> another pair of fairly similar boxes, I get a ~180x slowdown between
> 8-stable and -current (and that figure is probably optimistic since
> the -current box was idle whereas the 8-stable box was fairly busy).
>=20
> I realise that "make delete-old" isn't something you nede to do every
> day but going from sub-second to multi-minute duration is quite
> noticable.  Can anyone suggest what has caused the change?
>=20
> --=20
> Peter Jeremy

Right now, I believe the most useful comparison between systems is (assumin=
g UFS is in play) the output of "tunefs -p" for the filesystem that the slo=
wness is appearing on.

SoftUpdates (and whether it's enabled or disabled) can play a huge differen=
ce in how fast file-deletions are.

Also note that SU+J may be interesting if-set in 9 (while not available in =
8).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.