Date:      Wed, 05 Jun 1996 11:36:31 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        sef@kithrup.com, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix/NT synchronization model (was: SMP progress?)

In message <199606051824.LAA29307@phaeton.artisoft.com>, Terry Lambert writes:
>> >Actually, I disagree with this.  I think that the higher grain the
>> >parallelism, the better the ...
>>
>> Terry, feel free.  We will consider you patches when we see them.
>
>After Jeffrey Hsu has worked around the problem with the Lite2
>code integration (I am not convinced that it isn't a side effect
>of the recent VM changes, which have shown up a lot of broken
>assumptions in the CSRG code), and the Lite2 code is brought into
>the -current tree, I will work on Lite2-ing my FS patches.
>
>If you will remember, my FS patches addressed issues of fine grain
>parallelism, starting in June of 1995 (ie: it has been more than
>a year since you first saw the patches you are requesting).
But I still havn't been able to compile them, and I stil havn't
been able to get them without the "attached strings" of other
potentially unwanted patches. :-)

>In point of fact, I have already prepared all of vfs_syscalls.c for
>the lock pushdown from the trap code, as described in my previous
>post, by making them single-entry/single-exit.  I really don't see
>why the patches need to be all-or-nothing for you to even consider
>them in the first place... all that requirement does is make
>eventual integration more difficult (and thus unlikely).

my words exactly.  Except >I< think that >you< should do the work
of keep the issues separate rather than me trying to separate them.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.