Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:20:15 +0100
From:      Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   General questions on startup procedure

Hi,

for a while now i am trying to get i4b working to connect to my
isp, but i am somehow confused by the startup procedure. I read all
kinds of documentation, still i canīt distinguish which file is
needed when, because of several keywords appearing in multiple files.

/etc/rc.isdn

I guess this is the file that starts up the isdnd ?! I am new to
FreeBSD, but as far as I have learned ("man rc"), for FreeBSD 3.4
the starting of "local" packages takes place in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*.sh
?!
So I just put an own "script" into that dir that looks like this:
#!/bin/sh
[ -x /usr/sbin/isdnd ] && /usr/sbin/isdnd > /dev/null && echo -n '
isdnd'

(I copied and modified it from the apache.sh).

With /etc/rc.isdn i coulnīd get I4B started, though I set
isdn_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

Why not ?

Then I have configured isdnd to enable monitoring on port 451.
When i telnet to that port i get a string like "Teles 16 ..." and
a couple of lines of garbage. As soon as i press any key in that telnet
session my BSD box crashes.

Why ?

I would be happy about any hints ...

Thanks - Emre